How to Choose a Down Pillow
A quality down pillow will cushion your head and neck with gentle support while being very adaptable to the specific shape and weight of your head, neck and shoulders.
The correct firmness for your pillow will help to give you a comfortable, restful sleep. It will keep your head, neck and spine aligned while sleeping, reducing stress and unwanted aches and pains.
The firmness you choose should be based on your sleeping style. For example, if you sleep on your stomach, a soft pillow, with less down, will let your head and neck rest closer to the bed. If you sleep on your side, a firm pillow, with more down, will keep your head and neck elevated and aligned with your spine.
Our Down Pillows are Available in Extra Soft, Soft, Medium& Firm
- Stomach Sleepers - Choose a Soft pillow
- Back Sleepers - Choose A Medium pillow
- Side Sleepers - Choose a Firm pillow
- If you are petite with smaller shoulders and sleep on your side, or if your sleeping position changes throughout the night, a Medium firmness would be a good choice.
- If you sleep on a very soft bed, you may sink into the bed more than your pillow does. If so, you may want to consider a softer pillow.
- A Standard Size pillow is the best size choice for a sleeping pillow, for most people.
- How many pillows should you use? Can you have too many?
Down Pillows Get Softer With Use
Down pillows will "break in" with use, becoming softer with time. How much softer will depend on how clean the pillow is kept, how the pillow is used (some people use their pillow like a punching bag, others are more gentle), etc. Following our simple pillow care pointers will help your keep pillow fluffy and supportive for a long and restful life.
Feather Pillows Compared to Down Pillows
Some people prefer a harder feeling pillow, with less "cush" compared to a down pillow. Feather pillows, or pillows filled with a blend of feathers and down, are firmer with more of a "hard packed" feeling compared to a down pillow. Feathers do not have a fill power measurement.